With Asian Pacific American Heritage Month well underway, it is vital for brands to take into account how AANHPI communities have influenced the world of marketing and advertising, and what they can do to help these communities feel understood and connected to the advertisements they see.
My Code Intelligence Center’s 2023 AANHPI Consumer Fact Pack was designed to equip marketers with compelling, nuanced insights and research that helps them better understand, connect with, and authentically enrich the lives of AAHNPI audiences. The U.S. AANHPI community is a growing and increasingly influential part of the population and want to see themselves in the media that they are consuming.
INCREASING ECONOMIC INFLUENCE AND DRIVING THE INTERNET AGE
AANHPI consumer spending is growing the fastest in all U.S. census regions, and has a 39% projection growth in buying power by 2025, significantly outpacing the projected 24% growth among total U.S. in the same time period.
These same communities are also driving the online age, significantly outpacing the national average when it comes to internet usage, with over 98% of adults using the internet at least once a day, whether it’s through social media, online videos, video games, or other mediums.
With this high amount of internet usage, online racial hate still remains a serious concern among AANHPI adults, with 61% of AANHPI adults 18-24 feeling isolated or unwelcome in the online spaces they utilize.
REPRESENTATION, CONNECTION, AND AUTHENTICITY
Despite their economic impact and high internet usage, an average of only 29% of AANHPI consumers feel that brands truly understand them, with 45% saying that it’s important that culturally relevant advertising makes them feel like brands understand them.
When consumers feel understood by culturally relevant advertisements and brands, there is a greater potential to positively influence purchase behaviors and consideration. To motivate these behaviors, brands must express relatability with authentic representation and well-rounded portrayals of AANHPI audiences through advertising including:
- Advertisements that depict people in “everyday situations”
- Challenging stereotypes and representing AANHPI communities in non-stereotypical ways
- Including issues-based messaging, and acknowledging ongoing issues that audiences can relate to and understand
WHAT’S THE NEXT STEP?
- Look within internal teams to make sure there are people at the table that can understand AANHPI culture from different perspectives and provide context to campaigns.
- Ensure AANHPI representation is considered at each and every stage of campaign and creative development, not just in the result.
- Commit to authentically representing AANHPI consumers and creating space for understanding and connection, with realistic and relatable AANHPI community representations.
Download the full 2023 AANHPI Fact Pack now to equip your team with the key data and gain a core understanding of how to effectively generate programs, strategies, and campaigns that are more likely to have an impact on AANHPI audiences.